Thursday, August 13, 2009

So close, yet so far....

While my departure is over two weeks away, I can't help thinking about East Africa and my upcoming travels a few, ok many many many times a day. This WILL be the greatest thing I have done in my life so far. I can just feel it!

While I do know what areas I will be living in (Kampala, Gulu, Kigali, and Butare), I have very little idea what I will be doing while I am there (in terms of classes and trips). When people start asking me about my trip I tell them the title of the program is Post-Conflict Transformation and that usually answers some questions, but opens up a bunch of new questions in my mind. I realized this last night when some of my family friends, John and Jan, (who have done fascinating work with HIV/AIDS and children in these countries) came over for dinner. While I could not answer their questions about which NGO's my program would be working with, I did gain a sense of how profound their experiences in Uganda and Rwanda have been.

The main thing, as I learned from Jan, is to be open to anything! If my homestay family doesn't speak english I have to be open to learning their native tongue (which I am very excited for). If the food looks like something I would never eat in the States, give it a try anyway. Afterall, isn't the point of travel to learn new things through first hand experience?

I hope this blog becomes a way for me to sort through and share my emotions and experiences with the ones I love and left back at home. I'm not sure how accessible internet will be while I am "on the move" in East Africa, but I will try to update frequently.

Now only 1 more day of work at AASECT, and about two weeks to catch up with as much of my friends and family as I can before the big day (well 2 days of travel)!

4 comments:

  1. yay kaiblog! I'll be right behind you - working on mine today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such tech savvy women with all these blogs

    can't wait to keep up with you! two weeks, i can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kai!

    Your adventure has BEGUN, right here! I'm so glad you'll post (when you can) about your experiences... it's going to be so interesting to follow your travels. Thanks so much!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kai - we love your communications, so keep it up and keep us in the LOOP on everything.

    Dad E Oh

    ReplyDelete