Thursday, September 24, 2009

So we only have 7 days left in Gulu, Uganda and I know that I will miss it here a lot. I have become comfortable in town, with my family and friends at Peyero Guest House, and with the group and class dynamics. At times I think about conducting my ISP project here in Gulu because of how comfortable I feel here, but I know (as of now) that my academic interests are in Rwanda. When people talk about our upcoming travel to Kigali, Rwanda I get very excited.

I found out this week that Sam, who I originally thought was my brother, is a Rwandan national. His family moved to Uganda when he was 2, I am not sure their reasons. I talked to Sam (mainly) and Sunday for around 3 hours in the evening after school this week. It all started when I was listening to my iPod and joined them in the courtyard between my bedroom and the Guest House (hotel). They were very interested to hear my music and understand how the iPod worked. I taught them how to use it, and they shared the headphones while we chatted.

Sunday had told me prior to that day that one of his friends was a Rwandan whose family was killed in the genocide, but either I didn't catch that it was Sam or he didn't say. When Sam saw the book I was carrying along with my iPod, “We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families”, he told me how he had left Rwanda as a young boy (before 1994). He told me his grandmother still lives on their land among the neighbors who slaughtered her children. He lost 3 uncles because of violence in these regions (1 was killed by LRA, and 2 in the genocide). The most interesting thing he told me is how his cousins do not eat fish to this day because when the dead bodies were flowing in the rivers, the fish were feasting on the dead. Sam doesn't have a problem eating fish.

Sorry if that was not an appropriate story for a blog post, but I think it is important to know that these are the things I am experiencing here and the type of things we talk about. During this week of classes we have been watching a lot of documentaries about the Northern Ugandan conflict, so now there are images in my mind to go along with all of the testimonies and stories I have been hearing. It is both eye-opening, disturbing and fascinating. {For those who are interested, you should check out “Bending Spears” and “War Dance”!} Today's film (yes I am in class right now, but the lecture is UBER boring and if I weren't writing this post I'd fall asleep) is about what is happening in the North now with reintegration of those who have been living in IDP camps, as well as formerly abducted children (both boys-soldiers, and girls-wives of commanders). I am looking forward to it!

Probably the most exciting thing that has happened this week so far (it is only Thursday) is that my friend (from Goucher) Hanna found an amazing little oasis among Gulu. It is called TAKS (through art keep smiling) and it is an amazing place where they sell art made by people out in the villages around Gulu that the owner has discovered, they offer computer classes and internet services, karate and dance classes, there is a restaurant, accommodations in traditional (but pretty decked out) huts and much more.

I think Hanna is going to do her ISP on TAKS and try and live there during her research. The owner, David, was an amazing but quite fast talking Ugandan who wanted to show us every inch of the place. He is a potter (forgot to say they have a wheel and you could probably throw there), painter and overall accepting guy. He reminds me of a lot of the older hippies I grew up around in the states.

The minute we walked onto their compound I felt like it could be transplanted to Asheville, NC. The people at TAKS are just breaking into the area though and not many people know about them. They could do so much good they just need a hand getting the word out. Hopefully Hanna or one of us can help them build a website. The place is literally on the same road as where we all take classes (at Churchill Courts Hotel Ltd.) so I know those who come back to research in Uganda will make it a regular spot. I hope I can find as comforting and inspiring a place in Kigali!

So here is an update on what is coming up for me:
-Friday: potluck/goat roast at Jeremy's home-stay compound
-Sunday: Home-stay Party at Churchill Courts with everyone's families
-Wednesday: we get on the bus and head South to the capitol Kampala
-Saturday: free day in Kampala. I'm hoping to meet the rest of my siblings there: Harriet and Isabella
-Sunday: We leave very early in the AM for Kigali, RWANDA (it could take 14 hours:().
So I don't know when I'll be back on the internet after Sunday? Kigali is mucho developed but it depends on free time and finding the good spots.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kai! It was so fun to 'talk' to you on Skype this week! This is a wonderful blog entry... you have deftly pulled your readers into the heart of your experience, learning of this history which is filled with the pain of survival. Thank you for sharing in this detail. Also, I love hearing what your next few days hold, as you 'go silent' again for a bit. All the Best on these new adventures this week. xo

    ReplyDelete